History

Built in 1957, the building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, who donated his design and 2 acres of land to the Wyoming School District in honor of his mother, Anna Lloyd-Jones Wright.  She had been a kindergarten teacher and encouraged his lifelong love of learning.

The school opened in 1958 with 46 students in grades 1 through 8.  After consolidating with the River Valley School district the building was used by the district 4th graders until being closed in 1990.  The building then changed hands several times but mostly remained empty.

In August of 2010 the school was given to the not-for-profit Wyoming Valley School, Inc., by Jeff Jacobsen, a local landowner and neighbor of the school.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Innovation and creativity continues to grow in the Wyoming Valley and River Valley area, home to Frank Lloyd Wright’s National Historic Landmark site Taliesin, and the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture. Adjacent to the Taliesin property, the renowned American Players Theater performs its repertory year-round to large audiences from several states and to Wisconsin K-12 school children.

An impressive number of area artist studios, as well as organic agriculture and sustainable living initiatives blossom in the greater valley and are the results of the longstanding, forward thinking heritage of the valley.

The concept of the Wyoming Valley School Cultural Arts Center offers the necessary physical forum to bring young students and their families together in pursuit of creative education, while paying homage to Frank Lloyd Wright, utilizing his building for its original intent.

Refurbishing and maintaining the 1956 Frank Lloyd Wright designed school building as an educational center in the Wyoming Valley will not only preserve and restore this significant piece of architecture, it will also provide  a space to enhance arts education and creativity.

For more information:   wyomingvalleyschool@gmail.com